Agarwood oil or the aloeswood oil, as it is sometimes known as, is the one of the extremely precious natural oils. It is obtained from the species of Agarwood or Aquilaria sp trees. It is found in Bhutan, north eastern India and some parts of south east Asia which includes Cambodia and Vietnam, Philippines and Indonesia. Agarwood has some medicinal use too. It is also used as aromatic oil and is also used as a valuable part of incense. Several species of Agarwood can be found but the most important ones are A. malaccensis, Aquilaria agollocha and A. crassna. Out of these species, A. malaccensis and A. crassna are endangered and protected while the A. agollocha is found in Assam in abundance.
Agarwood is very popular in Japan and is used in incense. It is also very popular with the Middle East and is used as oil there. The fragrance is a result of the oleoresin process, which happens when fungi infect the trees of Agarwood and it gets its aroma Oud. Oud oil is an important part of aromatherapy and is very popular with natural perfumery. There are many qualities available but the highest quality oil which is pure and is unadulterated is very expensive. A tiny amount can give an extremely strong aroma.
Uses of Agarwood Oil
• Oud oil blend has many other uses too. The sought-after aroma is believed to have aphrodisiac qualities.
• It also has its therapeutic use and is known for its healing properties that can heal a lot of ailments. It is anti rheumatic, anti stress, anti microbial, anti asthmatic, anti oxidant and anti convulsing.
• It also has carminative, tonic, analgesic, diaphoretic, digestive and psychoactive properties. It is used for many physical ailments and is known since ages for its spiritual uses. It is very popular in the Muslim world for this quality.
• Ayurvedic practitioners and religious men have been using Agarwood oil extensively for its emotional and meditation quotient. It is believed to help get rid of negativity.
• Research shows that this oil also has the power to eliminate sexual problems. It is very popular as the aphrodisiac and has the power to enhance libido. It also helps fight premature ejaculation and increase the sperm count in the male body.
• The diuretic properties of the oil promote frequent urination. It also helps increase the urine quantity and thus help detoxify the body and clean it.
• It also treats a number of digestive problems. It can help relieve gas and build of excess gas through its carminative properties.
• It also very useful for rheumatism and arthritis as it has anti inflammatory and analgesic properties.